Hirskyj-Douglas, I. and Read, J.C., 2018. DoggyVision: Examining how Dogs (Canis familiaris) Interact with Media using a Dog-Driven Proximity Tracker Device. Journal of Animal Behaviour and Cognition.https://doi.org/10.26451/abc.05.04.06.2018 [PDF]
Hirskyj-Douglas, I., Pons, P., Read, J.C. and Jaen, J., 2018. Seven Years after the Manifesto: Literature Review and Research Directions for Technologies in Animal Computer Interaction. Multimodal Technologies and Interaction, 2(2), p.30. https://doi.org/10.3390/mti2020030 [PDF]
Hirskyj-Douglas, I., Read, J.C. and Cassidy, B., 2017. A dog centred approach to the analysis of dogs’ interactions with media on TV screens. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies. Special Issue: Animal Computer Interaction. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2016.05.007 [PDF]
Lucero Vera, A. (ed.), Karyda, M. (ed.), Hirskyj-Douglas, I. (ed.) & Moslemian, O. (ed.) 2018 Proceedings of SIDeR ‘18: 14th Student Interaction Design Research Conference. Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture. 166 p. [PDF]
Hirskyj-Douglas, I., Read, J.C. and Horton, M., 2017. Animal Personas: Representing Dog Stakeholders in Interaction Design. British Human Computer Interaction. http://dx.doi.org/10.14236/ewic/HCI2017.37 [PDF]
Hirskyj-Douglas, I. and Read, J.C., 2016. Using Behavioural Information to Help Owners Gather Requirements from their Dogs’s Responses to Media Technology. British Human Computer Interaction. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=3056397&CFID=951507723&CFTOKEN=26904271 [PDF]
Hirskyj-Douglas, I and Read, J.C., 2014. Who is really in the center of Dog Computer Interaction? Advance Computer Entertainment (ACE)’14. ACM. Madeira. http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=2693787.2693793 [PDF]
Robbinson, C., Hirskyj-Douglas, I. and Pons, P., 2018. Designing for Animals: Defining “Participation” in Animal-Computer Interaction. International Conference on Animal Computer Interaction. [Website] Publishing in December.
Pons, P., Hirskyj-Douglas, I., Nijholt A. and Cheok, A.D., 2016. Animal Computer Interaction Animal Centered, participatory and playful design. Measuring Behaviour’16. Animal Computer Interaction Symposium. [Proceedings] [PDF] [Website]
Workshop Position Papers
Hirskyj-Douglas, I. and Read, J.C., 2016. Ethics of How to Work with Dogs in Animal Computer Interaction. Measuring Behaviour. Animal Computer Interaction Symposium. [PDF]
Hirskyj-Douglas, I., Read, J.C. and Cassidy, B., 2015. Doggy Ladder of Participation. British Human Computer Interaction (BHCI). Animal Computer Interaction. [PDF]
Hirskyj-Douglas, I., Huailan L. and Read, J.C., 2014. Is my dog watching TV? NordiCHI’14. Animal Computer Interaction Workshop. [PDF]
Hirskyj-Douglas, I. & Read, J.C., 2013. Animal Computer Interaction Design. ACM-W. Manchester. [PDF]
Doctoral Consortium Papers
Hirskyj-Douglas, I., 2016. Creating Meaningful Interactions with Dogs and Screens. Third International Conference on Animal Computer Interaction. Doctoral Consortium. [PDF]
- Designing for Animals: Defining “Participation” in Animal-Computer Interaction – Anual Animal Computer Interaction Conference. December 2018. Organised with Charlotte Robinson and Patricia Pons.
- Designing Technology for Dog to Dog Interaction – SIDeR Conference. May 2018. Organised with Andres Lucero.
- University of Boulder, Colorado – Designing Technology for Dogs: A Workshop to Empower your Pooch April 2017. Organised with Ben Shapiro.
- ACI at Measuring Behaviour 2016. Organised with Anton Nijholt, Patricia Pons and Adrian Cheok.
- Where HCI meets ACI 2016 – Human Computer Interaction meets Animal Computer Interaction at NordiCHI 2016. Organised with Janet Read, Oskar Junlin, Heli Vaataja, Patricia Pons and Svein-Olaf Hvasshovd.
- ACI@BHCI 2015 – Animal Computer Interaction @ British Human Computer Interaction. Organised with Charlotte Robinson, Clara Mancini, Ben Kirman and Shaun Lawson.
- CHI Late Breaking Work (LBW) 2018/19.
- 2nd International Congress on Animal Computer Interaction held at Advanced Computer Entertainment (ACE) 2015.
- Spoke on BBC1 Radio about my research and women in technology representing W-ACM (women in ACM).
- Interviewed on BBC Radio Lancashire about my research on 7th July 2016.
- Spoke at UXPA (User Experience Professional Association) in London about how to design for non-verbal users in relation to gathering requirements for dog users on February 2016 UK UXPA event.
Companies Collaborated with:
- Helped pet food brand Wagg design a dog TV remote for dogglebox which was reported widely in the newspapers and online on 3rd July in the Daily Mail, Mirror, Daily Star and Sunday People and online in Huffington Post, Yahoo News, Digital Spy, Broadcaster Magazine and techtree among others.
- Advised companies upon investments in emerging science and technological ventures in dog technology.
Please contact me if you would like talk about any of my work.