Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas and Andrés Lucero. 2019. On the Internet, Nobody Knows You’re a Dog… Unless You’re Another Dog. In 2019 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems Proceedings (CHI 2019), May 4–9, 2019, Glasgow, Scotland, UK. ACM, New York, NY, USA. https://doi.org/10.1145/3290605.3300347 [PDF]
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas. 2018. Dog Computer Interaction – Methods and Findings for
Understanding how Dogs’ Interact with Screens and Media. Submitted as part of a Doctorate in Philosophy (PhD). University of Central Lancashire.
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas and Janet C. Read. 2018. DoggyVision: Examining how Dogs (Canis familiaris) Interact with Media using a Dog-Driven Proximity Tracker Device. Journal of Animal Behaviour and Cognition.
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas, Patricia Pons, Janet C. Read, and Javier Jaen. 2018. Seven Years after the Manifesto: Literature Review and Research Directions for Technologies in Animal Computer Interaction. Multimodal Technologies and Interaction, 2(2), p.30.
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas, Janet C. Read and Brendan Cassidy. 2017. A dog centred approach to the analysis of dogs’ interactions with media on TV screens. International Journal of Human-Computer Studies. Special Issue: Animal Computer Interaction. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijhcs.2016.05.007 [PDF]
Andrés Lucero (ed.), Maria Karyda (ed.), Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas and Oldouz Moslemian (ed.). 2018. Proceedings of SIDeR ‘18: 14th Student Interaction Design Research Conference. Aalto University School of Arts, Design and Architecture. 166 p.
Ole Goethe, Kavous Salehzadeh Niksirat, Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas, Huatong Sun, Effie L-C Law, Xiangshi Ren. 2019. From UX to Engagement: Connecting Theory and Practice, Addressing Ethics and Diversity. In 2019 Conference of Human-Computer Interaction Interaction (HCII). Orlando, Florida, US. 26- 31 July 2019. Springer
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas. Entanglements within Animal Computer Interaction: Towards becoming-with. 2019. Nordic Science and Technology (STS) Conference. June 12 – 13, 2019, Tampere, Finland. More-than-human technologies at homes, farms and in laboratories.
Viet Ba Hirvola, Shen Yin-Chiung, Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas. 2019. EyeR: Detection Support for Visually Impaired Users. Extended Abstract In 2019 CHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems Proceedings (CHI 2019), May 4–9, 2019, Glasgow, Scotland, UK. ACM, New York, NY, USA. https://doi.org/10.1145/3290607.3313044 [PDF]
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas, Janet C. Read and Matthew Horton. 2017. Animal Personas: Representing Dog Stakeholders in Interaction Design. In British Human-Computer Interaction proceedings, 3-6 July, 2017, Sunderland, UK. ACM, New York, NY, USA.
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas and Janet C. Read. 2016. Using Behavioural Information to Help Owners Gather Requirements from their Dogs’s Responses to Media Technology. In Proceedings of the 30th International BCS Human Computer Interaction Conference: Fusion! (HCI ’16). BCS Learning & Development Ltd., Swindon, UK, Article 42, 13 pages. https://doi.org/10.14236/ewic/HCI2016.42 [PDF]
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas and Janet C. Read. 2013. Animal Computer Interaction Design. In WomENcourage, ACM-W, March 1, Manchester, UK. ACM, New York, NY, USA.
Charlotte Robbinson, Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglasand Patricia Pons. 2018. Designing for Animals: Defining “Participation” in Animal-Computer Interaction. International Conference on Animal Computer Interaction. [Website] [PDF coming soon].
Patricia Pons, Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas, Anton Nijholt and Adrian David Cheok. 2016. Animal Computer Interaction Animal Centered, participatory and playful design. In Proceedings of Measuring Behaviour (MB’16).
[Proceedings] [PDF] [Website]
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas, Janet C. Read, Oskar Juhlin, Heli Väätäjä, Patricia Pons, and Svein-Olaf Hvasshovd. 2016. Where HCI meets ACI. In Proceedings of the 9th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (NordiCHI ’16). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Article 136, 3 pages. https://doi.org/10.1145/2971485.2987675 [PDF] [Website]
Workshop Position Papers
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas and Janet C. Read. 2016. Ethics of How to Work with Dogs in Animal Computer Interaction. In Proceedings of the 2016 Workshops on Measuring Behaviour (MB’16).
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas, Janet C. Read and Brendan Cassidy. 2015. Doggy Ladder of Participation. British Human-Computer Interaction (BHCI). Animal Computer Interaction Workshop.
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas and Janet C. Read. 2014. Who Is Really In The Center Of Dog Computer Design?. In Proceedings of the 2014 Workshops on Advances in Computer Entertainment Conference (ACE ’14 Workshops). ACM, New York, NY, USA, Article 2, 5 pages.
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas, Luo Huailan and Janet C. Read. 2014. Is my dog watching TV? Proceedings of the 7th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction (NordiCHI ’16). ACM, New York, NY, USA. [PDF]
Doctoral Consortium Papers
Ilyena Hirskyj-Douglas. 2016. Creating Meaningful Interactions with Dogs and Screens. Third International Conference on Animal Computer Interaction. Doctoral Consortium.
- Animal Participation, Consent & Empowerment within Technology Systems. Finnish Seminar for Human Animal Studies. April 2019. Organised with Heli Väätäjä.
- Designing for Animals: Defining “Participation” in Animal-Computer Interaction – Annual Animal Computer Interaction Conference. December 2018. Organised with Charlotte Robinson and Patricia Pons.
- Designing Technology for Dog to Dog Interaction – SIDeR Conference. May 2018. Organised with Andres Lucero.
- University of Boulder, Colorado – Designing Technology for Dogs: A Workshop to Empower your Pooch April 2017. Organised with Ben Shapiro.
- ACI at Measuring Behaviour 2016. Organised with Anton Nijholt, Patricia Pons and Adrian David Cheok.
- Where HCI meets ACI 2016 – Human Computer Interaction meets Animal Computer Interaction at NordiCHI 2016. Organised with Janet Read, Oskar Junlin, Heli Vaataja, Patricia Pons and Svein-Olaf Hvasshovd.
- ACI@BHCI 2015 – Animal Computer Interaction @ British Human Computer Interaction. Organised with Charlotte Robinson, Clara Mancini, Ben Kirman and Shaun Lawson.
- OZCHI AC 2019
- Designing Interactive Systems (DIS) AC 2019
- Computer-Human Interaction (CHI) LBW AC 2018/19.
- 2nd International Congress on Animal Computer Interaction AC held at Advanced Computer Entertainment (ACE) 2015.
- Spoke on BBC1 Radio about my research and women in technology representing W-ACM (women in ACM).
- Interviewed on BBC Radio Lancashire about my research on 7th July 2016.
- Spoke at UXPA (User Experience Professional Association) in London about how to design for non-verbal users in relation to gathering requirements for dog users on February 2016 UK UXPA event.
Companies Collaborated with:
- Helped pet food brand Wagg design a dog TV remote for dogglebox which was reported widely in the newspapers and online on 3rd July in the Daily Mail, Mirror, Daily Star and Sunday People and online in Huffington Post, Yahoo News, Digital Spy, Broadcaster Magazine and techtree among others.
- Advised companies upon investments in emerging science and technological ventures in dog technology.
Please contact me if you would like talk about any of my work.